I really enjoy baking…not that I’m very good at it, I guess I’m a sucker for punishment in the kitchen!
But Saturday was National Cupcake Day. The majority of South Africans baked cupcakes for a cancer charity we have, called Cupcakes for Kids with Cancer. So…unfortunately I had completely forgotten the date 😦 so resorted to baking something up on my lonesome.
I had leftover Horlicks from winter and *light bulb moment* decided to try out a Horlicks cupcake. I adore Maltezers and Whispers, I can easily eat a kilo of them if they weren’t so expensive! This icing is explosively delicious! If you like Maltezers or any malt drink, you will love this! It’s lekker (Afrikaans word for nice, awesome). It’s Horlicks in a buttercream form! Moving on…
Whip up a batch of your favourite chocolate cupcake, and substitute half the cocoa for Horlicks in the recipe.
For the icing you need:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 bag of Maltezers, crushed finely (put aside enough Maltezers to decorate one for each cupcake)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tbs of Horlicks
- 3 – 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift sugar and Horlicks together into a large bowl.
- In another bowl combine 1 cup of sugar and Horlicks mixture with butter and 1 tablespoon cream, beating until smooth. Add another cup of sugar and another tablespoon of cream, beating well. Add crushed Maltezers and mix in.
- Continue until all ingredients are combined and beat in vanilla. Pipe onto cupcakes. Top each cupcake with one Maltezer.